Mathematicians Garner Simons Fellowships

Christopher Sogge

Christopher Sogge and Joel Spruck, professors in the Department of Mathematics, have been awarded the Simons Fellowship in Mathematics. This competitive honorific fellowship, awarded to just 50 North American mathematicians a year, provides funds for a semester-long research leave from classroom teaching and administrative obligations.

“I’m thrilled that I’ll have free time and resources,” said Sogge, who will use this time to strengthen academic partnerships with his peers in China. “I welcome the opportunity to further develop these ties and to collaborate with them. I’ll also use the fellowship to help me finish writing a book on ‘Eigenfunctions of the Laplacian.’ This field of geometric analysis and harmonic analysis has been a main focus of mine throughout my career.”

Spruck will travel to Barcelona and Montreal, where he too will collaborate with his field’s leading experts. “We will work on problems of common interest involving the interplay of elliptic partial differential equations and Riemannian geometry. My last sabbatical of this nature was in 1999 and was a delightful and invigorating experience. I look forward to the opportunities that the Simons Fellowship will bring.”

Simons Fellows are chosen based on research accomplishment in the five years prior to application and the potential scientific impact of the fellowship. Both professors will receive salary replacement for up to 50% of their current annual compensation and, in addition, up to $10,000 for expenses related to the fellowship. The Simons Foundation is a private foundation based in New York City, whose mission is to advance the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences. The foundation funds a variety of grants, fellowships, and projects.