Shore to Shore

20130830_Ireland

rainbow

On August 25, 2013, political science major Rachel Schnalzer ’15 left the East Coast to study for four months in Galway, Ireland. Below is an excerpt from her most recent blog post.

First Impressions

Posted on September 3, 2013

Finally in Galway! Apologies for not writing sooner, but things have been jam packed since we’ve arrived in our charming new home in Galway. And when I say charming, I mean charming. Upon arriving in the city, nervous and excited, my fellow study abroaders and I were delighted to check out the new digs- and for good reason. Our new home, the Menlo Park Apartments, is amazing. I live in a duplex with three other students: Kacee and Paige (both in my study abroad program) and Briaine, a second year Irish student. The duplexes all surround a beautiful, flowery courtyard, and we even have a porch outside, perfect for the rare but lovely sunny afternoon in Galway.

But nice as Menlo is, I doubt any of us will be spending too much time hanging around the apartment- there’s too much to explore! After settling in and unpacking, a few friends and I decided to go for a run around our immediate area. And almost immediately, we all fell in love with Galway. Right after leaving Menlo, we turned around and saw our first Irish rainbow (no pot of gold yet, but I’m still looking). And then just up the road, my friend Sarah discovered a new friend, a beautiful bay horse in a stone walled pasture just up the road from our apartment. We decided to name her Colleen, and now, I say hello to her every day on my way to class. But perhaps most charming was our new (human) friend that we made, Bernie. We met Bernie when we stopped to take a few photos of the picturesque fields on our run. As we got talking about arriving in Galway, Bernie invited us to tea and scones at her home-talk about Irish hospitality! Our visit was wonderful, and I’ve never met a kinder family (more on Bernie and our tea time in my next post!). All I can say is that these are the moments that make all the difference while traveling abroad. [MORE...]

Read more posts on Rachel’s blog at galwaygirlfall2013.wordpress.com