Two Krieger Researchers Selected for Sloan Research Fellowship

kaplan-mcqueen

Congratulations to Jared Kaplan, assistant professor of particle physics in the Department of Physics and Astronomy, and Tyrel McQueen, assistant professor of chemistry with an expertise in solid state materials in the Department of Chemistry, recipients of the Sloan Research Fellowship.

Jared Kaplan

Jared Kaplan

The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation awards 126 two-year fellowships each year to young researchers in recognition of distinguished performance and unique potential to make substantial contributions to their fields. The award is $50,000 for the two-year period. Winners are nominated by a department chair or senior researcher.

Kaplan said the award dollars will help fund postdoctoral students working with him at Johns Hopkins as well as allow him to collaborate with fellow researchers across the country.

“I’m grateful for the validation of my research,” Kaplan said of the award. “This is particularly encouraging because I’ve chosen to work on a somewhat unusual range of topics, from quantum gravity to collider physics to the study of materials exhibiting strange new phases of matter. I feel extremely lucky because I am able consider whichever questions strike me as interesting, promising, or important.”

Tyrel McQueen

Tyrel McQueen

Kaplan came to Johns Hopkins in 2013 from a postdoctoral position at the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory at Stanford University. He received his bachelor’s in physics and math from Stanford University in 2005 and his PhD in physics from Harvard University in 2009.

McQueen said he’s thrilled to receive the recognition and pleased that the “non-directed nature of the funds gives me the flexibility to follow my instincts and explore the most interesting scientific questions in solid-state materials chemistry.”

McQueen was a post-doctoral research associate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology before coming to Johns Hopkins in 2010. He received his bachelor’s degree in chemistry from Harvey Mudd College in 2004 and his PhD in chemistry from Princeton University in 2009.