About Film and Media Studies

Information for New Students


One of the best ways to become familiar with film production is to go out into the field and shoot!  When your class schedule permits, communicate with upperclassmen and fellow students who are prepping to shoot their film projects to find out how to become involved.  Whatever the size or level of film production, help is always needed, and you can find crew-calls posted on our bulletin boards and through our email listserv.


Some of you may be eligible for work-study positions and there are opportunities to learn while working with department staff and your peers. Part time Film & Media Studies jobs such as working as a classroom TA, student office worker, and projectionist are all possibilities.  For more information go to The Office of Student Employment Services (www.jhu.edu/stujob). SES is a one-stop human resource and employment center for students registered full-time in the Krieger School of Arts & Sciences (KSAS) and the Whiting School of Engineering (WSE).

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally funded program that pays a portion or a student’s entire wage depending on the position. Students with an FWS award have an advantage during the hiring process since the employer pays only a fraction of the total hourly wage.