What Can I Study?

The Krieger School of Arts and Sciences offers undergraduate degrees in the arts, sciences, and humanities. The undergraduate degree at Johns Hopkins is a four-year degree consisting of broad multidisciplinary distribution requirements and concentrated coursework within a specific academic field, known as a major. Many Hopkins undergraduates pursue a combination of primary and secondary fields (majors and minors). This flexibility is a hallmark of the U.S. academic system and of Johns Hopkins.

As a visiting international student, you are afforded the same rights and privileges as our undergraduates. You may register for any undergraduate course listed in the Undergraduate Schedule of Classes http://web.jhu.edu/registrar/schedule/index.html for which you meet course prerequisites. You are not restricted to courses offered within a single department, and you may select courses from undergraduate offerings in both the Schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering.

You may not enroll in courses in the graduate and professional divisions of Johns Hopkins.

Visiting international students enroll as full-time students for the duration of their semester or academic year at Johns Hopkins.

Most visiting students enroll in 15 credits each semester. You must enroll in a minimum of 12 credits each semester to maintain full-time academic status. Courses generally carry 3 credits (6 ECTS) and students enroll in five courses each semester. Some intensive courses carry a greater number of credits and many sciences courses have required laboratories or discussion sessions, so be sure to read the course description carefully when planning your academic program at Hopkins.

Course numbers correspond to departments and level of study. In general, courses at the 100 and 200 level are considered lower-level courses appropriate for students in the first two years of their academic studies at the university. Courses at the 300 and 400 level are considered upper-level courses appropriate for students in their final two years of study within a specific academic discipline. Graduate courses are at the 500 and 600 level. Permission to take graduate courses on the Homewood campus must be obtained after you arrive on campus and meet personally with the professor.

Transcripts and Transfer of Credit

At the end of your semester or academic year, the registrar will send an official transcript to your home institution. Your home institution determines which courses and credits may be applied toward your degree, so be sure to discuss your academic plans with your adviser or director of international student mobility to determine how your time at Hopkins will affect your progress toward the degree at your home school.

Once you have completed your studies at Hopkins, you may obtain additional copies of your transcript from the Office of the Registrar.