Graduate Admissions

The Office of Graduate Affairs and Admissions is the office responsible for coordinating the graduate admissions process for the Krieger School of Arts & Sciences and the Whiting School of Engineering full-time programs.  Their website contains complete up-to-date information about the admissions process, including requirements and deadlines. 

The graduate application is online. Graduate application deadlines vary from department to department so it is essential that an applicant confirm the deadlines for the department(s) that interest them.  Once an applicant submits his or her application, it is made available electronically to the department, at which point faculty can review it as part of the decision-making process.
By special request, the Office of Graduate Affairs and Admissions can help organize campus tours by department for their accepted student open houses, and Diversity Fellows (current graduate students) are available to meet one-on-one with prospective students.  Please contact the Office of Graduate Affairs and Admissions directly for more information.

Offers of admission, including any financial package awarded to the applicant, are sent by the department. A packet of information containing housing suggestions, information for international students, health insurance and immunization, a current GRO guide, matriculation and salary information sometimes accompanies the offer of admission, though some departments opt to send this information only to those students who accept the offer of admission.  The Office of Graduate Affairs and Admissions posts offer letter templates and helpful supplemental information on its internal staff training portal:  Some departments also send out a list of graduate students with email addresses to help the new student make contacts with their future colleagues, but departments should first obtain consent from their current students before making their contact information available in this way.

Graduate student financial aid is awarded by the department.  Graduate students may also seek financial assistance through different scholarship programs. If the department grants aid to a graduate student, the aid is designated to the student by the department administrator via upload to the Distributed Graduate Aid (DGA) interface in ISIS.

Visiting Graduate Students are graduate students who, provided they meet one of the three criteria for the definition of a visiting student, are permitted to engage in up to two consecutive semesters of study at Hopkins, but who are non-matriculating, non-degree-seeking students.  Visiting Graduate Students must apply online, and only with advance permission from a department.  The full application process can be found here, and detailed administrator instructions can be found here (you will have to sign in with your JHED ID). 

Departments wishing to pay visiting graduate students must do so using visiting graduate student positions in SAP.  (NOTE:  In order to be paid in a student capacity, visiting students must demonstrate that they hold a status as a matriculated student at their home institution.)

Please note that visiting undergraduate or high school students are handled through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.  Please click here for more information.

Volunteers are individuals who perform services for their own benefit, in furtherance of the humanitarian, educational or service missions of the School and/or to gain professional experience through their service to the School. Volunteers are uncompensated and provide services without expectation of pay. NOTE: Volunteers normally have no affiliation with the Johns Hopkins University. However, under special circumstances, certain Johns Hopkins employees may serve as volunteers when their paid work is substantively different from his/her work as a volunteer.

To ensure that an individual performing volunteer services is not an employee for purpose of the Fair Labor Standards Act, all of the following criteria must be satisfied in order for an individual to be approved as a volunteer:

  • The services are intended to be voluntary and to be rendered without compensation.
  • The services must constitute a bona fide effort of the individual to volunteer for a humanitarian or public service purpose or for the benefit of his/her professional experience.
  • The fact that the individual is an employee elsewhere in the University does not mean he/she cannot volunteer in a capacity that differs from his/her employment.
  • However, where an employment relationship does exist, that relationship may not be waived; so, for example, an employee cannot volunteer to do activities that are the same or similar to ones he/she performs in his/her JHU job.
  • Individuals volunteer their time for their own personal motives, without promise or expectation of compensation, at hours that suit their own convenience.
  • Volunteers must not be utilized in ways that displace or replace regular employees in the performance of their normal duties.

Detailed information on the process of working with volunteers can be found on the Full-Time Graduate Programs in Arts and Sciences and Engineering.  Please note that the Full-Time Graduate Programs in Arts and Sciences and Engineering does not process volunteer applications.