Seen & Heard: Fall 2015

I feel I’m spending roughly half my time hiding in plain sight because I used to be something. And the other half of the time I feel still so hard pressed to the national bosom that I’m suffocating. So I’d quite like to go and live in America.”Sir Andrew Motion
BBC News, May 2015, on why, as England’s former poet laureate, he decided to take a position at Johns Hopkins

The most disadvantaged dads end up looking like they’re completely distanced from their kids, but they’re actually giving quite a lot. I was surprised by how much these disadvantaged guys, these truly marginally employed men, are putting all of this thought and what little resources they have into showing their children that they care.”Kathryn Edin
Bloomberg Distinguished Professor, Sociology
Time magazine, June 2015, discussing so-called deadbeat dads

We’re pushing more activity out of the regulated banking sector, and so monetary policy has to take account of the unregulated sector. The world is changing, and I think the bigger risk is not changing along with it.”Jon Faust
Louis J. Maccini Professor of Economics
The New York Times, September 2015, discussing Federal Reserve’s ability to raise interest rates

A ‘good’ lynching poem must capture and represent the horror of a specific event. It must trigger strong feelings and perhaps rage. Moreover, a good class discussion must address politics: not only the politics of lynching, but also the literary politics of creation and publication. Who writes about lynching and when? Who publishes the work and why? In short, the endeavor is not for the faint of heart.”Hollis Robbins
Director, Center for Africana Studies
Chronicle of Higher Education, August 2015, on teaching literature about lynching