Departmental honors are conferred upon graduating seniors who meet the following criteria:
- Completion of an autonomous research project conducted under the mentorship of a faculty member in a department associated with the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, the Bloomberg School of Public Health, or the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- A GPA in the major requirements of 3.3 or higher
- Participation in Honors Seminar Courses: AS.280.495 (fall) and AS.280.499 (spring)
- Completion of the senior thesis under joint sponsorship of the Director of the Program in Public Health Studies (PHS)
- Presentation of research findings in a poster session, research symposium, or scientific conference such as the Annual Undergraduate Conference in Public Health hosted by the Public Health Students Forum
- Formal approval from the scientific mentor upon completion of the research project
How to Apply
Obtain permission to use your research idea (and work with related mentor) for PHS honors from Dr. Maria Bulzacchelli or Dr. Jennifer Schrack in the spring prior to your senior year.
Complete the Departmental Honors Clearance form and GPA worksheet after February 1 of your senior year and take it to Dr. Bulzacchelli or Dr. Schrack. Download the forms from the Academic Advising website.
Return the signed checklist to the Office of Academic Advising by the last week of March. You do not need to make an appointment to return the Honors Clearance form, but it must be signed by the correct representative from your department or it will not be processed. Failure to submit this Honors Clearance form by this date will mean that you will not receive honors.
Students who meet the criteria listed above will receive a letter of recognition, along with special notation in the graduation program and on their transcripts.