One applied public health clinical, research, or community-based experience is required, consisting of 80 documented hours of work at one site, completed within one calendar year. Students complete biweekly reports and a final synthesizing assignment.
Biweekly reports are to be a minimum of one page, double spaced (300 words); please refer to the Biweekly Reflection Guide for additional suggestions.
The format of the synthesizing assignment can be any one of these three options:
- 8–10-page paper following the manuscript submission guidelines, accompanied by a 300-word abstract
- 36-by-48-inch or larger poster, accompanied by a 300-word abstract. Posters are presented at the JHU Undergraduate Public Health Conference.
- 10-minute VoiceThread presentation, accompanied by a transcript of the audio and a 300-word abstract
Guidelines and Examples
Manuscript and Abstract
- Abstract Examples
- Manuscript Examples
Create a poster presentation using these instructions: Poster Presentation Submission Guidelines.
- Use the online poster creation tool to download a template. The template is free, but if you decide to have it printed the starting cost is $39.95.
- Or create PowerPoint slides, print them out, and attach them to a tri-fold poster, then add in the remaining content.
- Christina Li, c/o 2013, St. Joseph’s Home in South Africa
- Tiffany Yang, c/o 2015, The effect of MisR on tbp transcription in Neisseria gonorrhoeae
Create a VoiceThread presentation using these instructions: VoiceThread Multimedia Submission Guidelines. Examples of multimedia synthesizing assignments:
- Michelle Greenman ’15, The Multilocus Sequence Typing of Klebsiella Pneumoniae: VoiceThread
- An Harmanli ’13, The Contraceptive Options Postpartum Education (COPE) Intervention: .ppt presentation
- Aleksandra Olekhnovich, Wellness Intern Central Human Resources at the University of Virginia: .pptx presentation
- Adelina Huo ’13, with Community Water Solutions in Ghana: .wmv presentation
The JHU Digital Media Center is a great facility for multimedia work.