The Center for Africana Studies (CAS) provides scholarships to students studying abroad during the academic year. Individuals excelling in acquisition of scholarship on the African diaspora will be awarded $1,000 for their travel.
The scholarship is available for students who:
- Are majoring/minoring in Africana studies* (priority will be given to these students)
- Have taken four or more courses in Africana Studies
- Are reasonably fluent in or are currently taking classes in a language spoken in the African diaspora and seek language immersion while abroad
- Submit two strong recommendation letters from at least one affiliated CAS faculty
Note: students who are not CAS majors/minors but wish to apply for this grant must speak with the associate director of the Center for Africana Studies before submitting their application.
On return from a study abroad program, grant awardees must submit a one-page essay describing how their time abroad enhanced their study of the African diaspora.
Applications must include:
- Study Abroad Institution of Acceptance and Country of Program
- Two references and their department
- A 1-page essay describing your motivation for studying abroad
- A budget proposal
- Two letters of reference from a faculty member
Please contact email@example.com for application information. Supporting materials (essay, budget, letters of reference) may be emailed or delivered in hard copy to Kanita Tavares in Mergenthaler 240.