- This event has passed.
Colonial and Postcolonial Diasporas in the Indo-Pacific-Australian Space
February 26, 2021 @ 8:00 pm – 10:00 pm
Panel II 8:00pm – 10:00pm: Diasporas and Contemporary Geopolitical Changes
Chair and Discussant: Dr. Chong Ja Ian, Department of Political Science, the National University of Singapore
- James Flowers, Korea Research Fellow, Kyung Hee University, “Transcending Boundaries: Chinese Medicine Doctors’ Role in Healing Australia from Colonial Rule to the Twenty-First Century”
- Michael Williams, Australia-China Institute for Arts and Culture, Western Sydney University, “Chinese Australia: Past Discrimination, Present fear, Future Opportunities?”
- Giovanna Maria Dora Dore, East Asian Studies, Johns Hopkins University, “Business as Usual: The Role of Business Elites in Hong Kong’s Evolving Political Identity”
- 10-10:15 pm, Publication Plan:
- Liu Ming-feng, Department of International and Mainland China Affairs, Quemoy University, Taiwan, and the Editor-in-Chief of the journal Translocal Chinese: East Asian Perspectives
Organizers: Dr. Huei-Ying Kuo, Dept. of Sociology, Johns Hopkins University & Dr. Sydney Van Morgan, International Studies Program, Johns Hopkins University
Cosponsoring Programs: East Asian Studies and Racism, Immigration, and Citizenship at Johns Hopkins University.
This workshop has been made possible by a Social Science Research Council Transregional Research Junior Scholar Fellowship New Paradigms Grant with support from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.