Program Director Homayra Ziad wins Faculty Undergraduate Teaching Award

On May 25, Dr. Ziad was recognized by the KSAS Dean for excellence in undergraduate teaching. The citation follows below.

“I am pleased to announce the recipients of the 2020-21 Krieger School’s Excellence in Teaching and Excellence in Advising Awards. Many of our remarkable faculty members were nominated, which is a testament to their dedication to the craft. It is heartening to read the comments from students about the difference our instructors have made in their lives. 

Below are our award recipients and selected quotes from those who nominated them.

Faculty Undergraduate Teaching Award

Homayra Ziad

Lecturer/Director

Program in Islamic Studies

“I have known Dr. Ziad for nearly two years now since I first took a course with her, and she continues to be a steadfast and luminous mentor for me. From academic to personal to spiritual, Dr. Ziad’s wisdom and reservoir of knowledge has always been a source of inspiration, and there have been countless times when I came away from our interactions with a new sense of purpose.”

“Homayra has sparked a renaissance for the Program in Islamic Studies not only through her teaching, but through her tireless work in developing programming. She seems to know every academic, artist, public intellectual, and activist in North America whose work connects to Islam, and she uses her vast network to organize events and attract speakers and artists who enrich our undergraduates’ experiences.””