Students who have taken Portuguese before and plan to continue at Hopkins must take the departmental placement exam before registering for a Portuguese class. This exam is available online year-round; for the most accurate placement recommendation, take it just before the semester you actually plan to study the language. This placement test covers grammar, vocabulary, reading comprehension, listening skills, writing, and speaking.
If you have successfully taken the pre-requisite courses for the class, you do not need to take the placement test.
Native speakers of Portuguese who want an official foreign language waiver or a proof of language proficiency contact Dr. Azeredo-Cerqueira.
Obtain Placement Advice and Register for Classes
- Take the Portuguese placement test online. You may only take the exam once.
- If you are not a JHU student, use the Non-JHED login link (right side) to login with a guest account.
- After taking the exam, send an email to Professor Flavia Azeredo-Cerqueira, director of the Portuguese Language Program, asking for permission to sign up for the class that matches your score. Professor Azeredo-Cerqueira will notify the Registrar’s Office to update your SIS record and permit you to register for a Portuguese class at the approved level as soon as registration opens for your cohort.
|No previous experience||No placement test needed; sign up for Accelerated Portuguese (210.290) or Fast Portuguese for Spanish Speakers or Speaker of other Romance Languages (210.275)|
|Up to one year of Portuguese in high school||Take placement exam; sign up for Portuguese Elements II (210.178)|
|Two years of Portuguese in high school||Take placement exam; sign up for Intermediate Portuguese I (210.277) (fall only)|
|Three to four years of Portuguese in high school||Take placement exam; sign up for Intermediate Portuguese II (210.278)|
|Four to six years of Portuguese in high school or a Celpe-Bras score of 3,51 or higher||Take placement exam; sign up for Advanced Portuguese I (210.391)|
Portuguese Placement Exam Ethics Statement
Johns Hopkins University believes strongly that every member of its community should hold the highest standard of integrity for their work and avoid academic dishonesty. As an incoming freshman, you are expected to behave in an ethical manner as you begin your Hopkins career while taking the online French, German, Portuguese, or Spanish placement exam.
You must take this test without receiving assistance from anyone else and without the help of any document (no notes, no book, no dictionary). You are allowed to take this test only once. Reproduction of the material on this test is a violation of ethical standards. Therefore, you should not discuss the questions on these tests with others nor may you provide others with the questions on these tests.
By accepting the following statements, you may begin the online placement exam:
- I will do my own work on this test. I will not receive assistance from another person nor from books or other documents.
- I will not discuss this test with others or reproduce test questions in any format.
- I will take this test online only once.
Online Placement Exam
This placement exam should take approximately 60 minutes to complete. Be sure you allow yourself sufficient time to complete the entire exam at once. After you finish the test, remember to attach your audio file. Your exam will be automatically sent to Professor Azeredo-Cerqueira for grading. The results of this exam will be reviewed by the course coordinator, who will assign you a Portuguese language level that matches your background.