Concepts: Upon completion of the Spanish major, students will be able to achieve the following learning outcomes at the ACTFL advanced high or above level of communication
- Describe literary and cultural texts and interpret historical, political and social contexts and the perspectives such texts represent.
- Identify features, such as effects, meanings, and functions of literary and cultural texts.
- Illustrate major literary and cultural figures, movements, and periods in the Spanish-speaking worlds.
- Discuss texts from myriad of contexts and define ramifications for economics, history, society, politics, aesthetics, and other factors influencing the production of texts.
- Describe professional contexts in Hispanic countries and compare them with their own.
Skills: Upon completion of the Spanish major, students will be able to achieve the following learning outcomes at the ACTFL advanced high or above level of communication
- Compare and judge analytical arguments, evaluate assumptions, question logic in interpretive claims.
- Examine Spanish literary and cultural topics, using and questioning a combination of textual evidence, bibliographical research, and relevant secondary literature.
- Differentiate kinds of texts, e.g., literature, poetry, film, drama and distinguish appropriate analytical approaches to each.
- Distinguish connections among cultural figures while debating authorship, periodization, and conventional analyses of literature and culture.
- Perform different professional tasks in a work environment situation.
nts and analysis