Johns Hopkins Student Shines as Public Health Journalist

• Posted on:
  • Posted in: news
Featured image

All public health studies majors are required to complete an applied experience related to public health before they graduate. Students can volunteer, complete an internship, or assist with a research project; the experiences are as diverse as the students themselves.

Over this past winter break, sophomore Will Bellamy fulfilled his applied experience by working as a reporter for his hometown newspaper, the Davis Enterprise. Will wrote a number of public health-related stories, on topics ranging from barcodes on vaccines to physician-assisted suicide.

For one story, Will was tasked with interviewing a state senator who was about to introduce a bill giving terminally ill Californians access to physician-assisted suicide. In his own words:

In the end, I was one of only several reporters in the state to publish an article about the bill before it was officially announced. I came away from the story with heightened confidence in myself. I may be young, but I know now that I am capable of taking on major stories and handling them with sensitivity and objectivity. As I continue my applied experience over spring break and during the summer, I am sure that I will look back on the physician-assisted suicide article and remind myself to trust in my abilities as a reporter.

Will wrote six articles for the Davis Enterprise over winter break, and plans to continue is work as a reporter during the spring and summer. Check out his pieces below:

Will is also writing for the Athletic Department at Johns Hopkins. You can see one of his recent pieces here.