Instructor Guide

Welcome to the Public Health Studies Program. Whether you are new to teaching at Homewood or a returning lecturer, you will find staff support, resources, and facilities to enrich your teaching experience.

Get Ready for the Semester

Ordering Textbooks

The Krieger School of Arts and Sciences is serviced by Barnes & Noble Johns Hopkins. The bookstore offers competitive pricing, new and used books, and buybacks. Please review the Policy on Textbook Affordability. One of the important points in helping to ensure textbook affordability is providing your book information as early as possible.You have several options to place your textbook order:

Note: If you are not using a textbook, please send an e-mail to, provide your course number, and inform them that “no textbook will be required.” This will ensure your students are aware that no textbook purchase is necessary.

Library Reserves and Services


The Sheridan Libraries can electronically post your course readings, course notes, syllabi, and exams. The library can also order your reserves for the reserve desk at your teaching site. To request electronic postings or to submit a reserve request, send your syllabus or list of citations by email to approximately four weeks prior to your course start date. Before submitting your request, please review the library reserve policy. For information on establishing remote access in order to access e-readings, visit the library’s webpage on connecting from off-campus.

Other Library Services

The Public Health Studies campus librarian liaison is Dr. Sue Vazakas and she can be reached at 410-516-4153 or She is more than willing to come to your class for brief presentations. She can speak to students about how to acquire resources not owned by the library, how to conduct scholarly research, PubMed, reference management systems, and give general tips on how to use the library efficiently.

Library Privileges

Your Johns Hopkins Enterprise Directory (JHED) login ID allows you access to the Sheridan Libraries’ extensive electronic databases and search capabilities.

To obtain borrowing permissions from the library, you must have an activated JHU identification card. For those without a JHU identification card, please obtain a J-Card. For more information on J-Cards, visit the J-Card Office’s website.

Requesting a Desk Copy

A desk copy is a gratis copy of a book that is required for a course taught by a professor, lecturer, graduate student instructor, and/or teaching assistants. The desk copy is requested of the publishing company. Desk copies are not available through the university bookstore. A desk copy can be ordered for the use of the teacher of the course, as well as for the teaching assistants for lecture courses. In almost all cases, these can be ordered from the publisher online, by email, or by fax. While each publishing company is slightly different in the way they request information, most of them request the same standard information.In most cases, you can find the web page that describes the publisher’s directions for ordering desk copies by conducting an online search for “[publisher’s name] desk copies.” Often the section on the publisher’s website that tells you how to order desk copies is under “academic services,” “academic resources,” “desk and exam copies,” or similar.

Course Management: Blackboard

Homewood campus uses Blackboard as the course management system. Training and how-to documentation, frequently asked questions, and more are located on the Center for Educational Resources (CER) Blackboard page. If you require individual assistance, please contact Amy Bruisini at the CER.

Constructing Your Syllabus

Please submit a copy of your final syllabus to Natalie Hicks before your first scheduled class meeting. The CER’s website provides clear direction on what you need to include in your syllabus. The TA guide is great for first-time instructors and provides excellent suggestions on course development, tools, university policies, etc. Syllabus Outline Example

Requesting Audio Visual (AV) Equipment/Support

You can view most registrar-controlled classrooms and the technology installed on the KIT-CATS website. It is best to check your assigned classroom before your first scheduled day of class to see if it contains the installed audio visual equipment you need and to ensure you can plug in a laptop, view the network, and run the required systems. For general classroom technology needs or immediate assistance, call x6-6699.To request AV equipment delivery, podcasting (audio recording in classrooms), video conferencing, or video recording/streaming, please submit the Classroom Support Request form found on the KIT-CATS website, (at least one week in advance) or send your requirements to Natalie Hicks and she can submit the form on your behalf.

Viewing Your Course Roster

Access your course roster through SIS. If you are not familiar with SIS For Instructors, follow a tutorial explaining how to use this faculty self-service. If you are having difficulties viewing your roster or accessing the system, please notify Natalie Hicks.

Room Assignments

Room assignments are made by the Office of the Registrar and space is limited. Room assignment are confirmed by the scheduling office two weeks before classes begin. Once confirmed, you will be receive notification of your room assignment. Room information is also viewable in SIS.

For questions about room assignments, or if you require an additional room during the semester for breakout or review sessions please send Day, time, number of seats needed, and AV needs to Natalie Hicks.

Office Hours

We encourage each instructor to schedule office hours for at least one hour a week on the Homewood campus. You are welcome to use an office within the Public Health Studies Program building, 3505 N. Charles Street, 2nd floor. Space is available for use from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Please email Natalie Hicks outlining the days/times you are requesting. Some instructors choose to use alternative locations on the Homewood campus (coffee shops, lounge areas near their classes, etc.) for their office hours and that is perfectly acceptable


The PHS office has a copier that you are welcome to use for light course print jobs. If you need to print large print orders (such as course booklets), we suggest you use FedEx or another printer.

Disability Services

Students with special needs go through a formal process with the University to request accommodations. All admitted students with special needs who wish to receive accommodations must initiate the registration process by contacting the Student Disability Services Office.

Referring Students to the Disability Services Coordinator

Providing reasonable and necessary accommodations to students with special needs is an important part of our responsibilities as educators. To ensure that the University meets its obligations to students consistently and fairly, students who seek accommodations should first register with the disability services coordinator in their school or division.

Instructors are often the first point of contact for students with special needs who seek accommodations. You can help students receive the accommodations they may need by doing the following things:

  • In your syllabus, include the recommended statement about classroom accommodations: “If you are a student with special needs or believe you might have a special need that requires accommodations, please contact Dr. Brent Mosser in Student Disability Services, 385 Garland Hall, 410-516-4720,”
  • Announce to your students on the first day of class how they can receive accommodations if needed.
  • Direct any requests for accommodations to the Student Disability Services Office.
  • Provide accommodations to students who provide you with a letter from the SDS explaining the approved classroom accommodations.

Ending the Semester

Final Exams and Grading

Information about the Final Exam Policy, Final Exam Schedule, and Grading Policy can all be found on the Faculty & Staff section of the Registrar’s website.

Course Evaluations

The Krieger School of Arts and Sciences uses an online course evaluation. All instructors will receive an email from Homewood Teacher Course Evaluations Administrator ( notifying them about the evaluation process. There are 10 standard questions asked of all KSAS courses. In addition, instructors will be able to add up to three customized questions to the surveys for any course he/she teaches.

Submitting Grades

Faculty enter grades online for the Fall, Intersession, Spring, and Summer terms through SIS. Grade deadlines for each semester are located on the Registrar’s website. Grades for students expected to graduate (denoted on your roster) need their final grades submitted within 48 hours after their final examination. You will receive an email notifying you of the grading schedule and important deadlines. Students who are expecting to graduate and receive their diplomas in December or May cannot do so if their Fall/Spring grades have not been submitted.