Yuan Chaun Lee is an academy professor and a research professor in the Department of Biology.
Glycobiology: Glycoproteins, Glycolipids, and Cell Surface Carbohydrate Receptors
Glycoconjugates (i.e., glycoproteins, glycolipids, etc.) are widely distributed in nature, and play diverse and important functions. We are trying to understand how carbohydrate groups in glycoconjugates are recognized in biological systems, and how they function as biological signals. Our current major interests are listed below:
1) Carbohydrate-mediated defense mechanism. Carbohydrate recognition can be used in a defense mechanism. A typical case is mannose-binding protein in human serum, which performs pre-immune defense against invading agents. An acute-phase protein, C-reactive protein, is another such defense molecule, and we are investigating its carbohydrate-binding specificity as related to its biological functions.
2) Glycopathology, i.e., how the glycoconjugates are involved in various pathogenesis and how they can be used in prevention. Among the avian species, pigeons and doves are unique in that their egg proteins contain “galabiose” (Gala(1-4)Gal) sequence. The galabiose exists in human cells as glycolipids, and is a ligand for many pathogenic microbes as well as for some microbial toxins. Pigeon egg white glycoproteins and oligosaccharides or glycopeptides inhibit microbial invasion as well as internalization of toxins.
3) Evolution of glycans in glycoproteins in avian species (AvioGlycomics). It is curious that only pigeons and doves are known to have the galabiose sequence in its N-glycans. We are examining the phylogenetically related avian eggs to gain insight to this enigma.
4) Glycoside clustering effect. Carbohydrates are the only biopolymers that can form branched structures. Hence the specific recognition of carbohydrates often involves subtle differentiation of branched structures. When spatially suitably oriented, the terminal sugar units of clustered carbohydrates, which are often the target for recognition, can manifest tremendous enhancement of binding affinity, which is termed “glycoside clustering effect”. We are investigating the origin of this effect so that it can be used in construction of effective “glyco-drugs.” We are now adopting nanotechnology to explore innovative approaches in this area. One of the practical application of this methodology is to organ specific delivery of a malaria drug, promaquine, to the liver. Liver is where Pasmodium falciparum spends the longest time. By selective delivery of the drug to liver, it is expected to combat malaria without severe side effect.
5) Covid-19 related. Covid-19 virus first attaches to ACE-2, which may cause some changes in the ACE-2 enzyme activity. We are searching for potentials for such changes by designing new and more efficient assay methods of ACE-2. Moreover, many natural glycosaminoglycans are shown to bind the Covid-19 Receptor-Binding-Domain. We are examining the details of such binding, which may aid in detection/treatment of Covid-19.
T. W. Chiu, C. J. Peng, M.C. Chen, M. H. Hsu, Y. H. Liang, C. H. Chiu, J.M. Fang, and Y. C. Lee (2020) Constructing conjugate vaccine against Salmonella Typhimurium using lipid-A free lipopolysaccharide. Biomed. Sc., 27:89. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12929-020-00681-8
F. Demeter, D. T. Chang, Y. C. Lee, T.K. Fu, M. Herczeg, Borbas (2020) Synthesis of α-1,2- and α-1,3-linked di-rhamnolipids for biological studies. S Carbohydrate Research, 496, 108102. DOI:10.1016/j.carres.2020.108102
Demeter, Fruzsina; Chang, Margaret Dah-Tsyr; Lee, Yuan-Chuan; Borbas, Aniko; Herczeg, Mihaly (2020) An Efficient Synthesis of the Pentasaccharide Repeating Unit of Pseudomonas aeruginosa Psl Exopolysaccharide. Synlett, 31(5), 469-474.
Fu, Tse-Kai; Ng, Sim-Kun; Chen, Yi-En; Lee, Yuan-Chuan; Demeter, Fruzsina; Herczeg, Mihaly; Borbas, Aniko; Chiu, Cheng-Hsun; Lan, Chung-Yu; Chen, Chyi-Liang; et al (2019) Rhamnose binding protein as an anti-bacterial agent-targeting biofilm of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Marine Drugs, 17(6), 355.
Demeter, Fruzsina; Balogh, Timea; Fu, Tse-Kai; Chang, Margaret Dah-Tsyr; Lee, Yuan-Chuan; Borbas, Aniko; Herczeg, Mihaly (2019) Preparation of -L-Rhamnobiosides by Open and Conventional Glycosylation for Studies of the rHPL Lectin. Synlett, 30(19), 2185-2192.
Sanes, Jurgen T.; Hinou, Hiroshi; Lee, Yuan Chuan; Nishimura, Shin-Ichiro (2019) Glycoblotting of Egg White Reveals Diverse N-Glycan Expression in Quail Species. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 67(1),531-540
Fu Tse-Kai; Ng Sim-Kun; Chen Yi-En; Lee Yuan-Chuan; Lan Chung-Yu; Chang Margaret Dah-Tsyr; Fu Tse-Kai; Lee Yuan-Chuan; Demeter Fruzsina; Herczeg Mihaly; et al (2019) Rhamnose Binding Protein as an Anti-Bacterial Agent-Targeting Biofilm of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Marine Drugs, 17(6).
Sanes Jurgen T; Hinou Hiroshi; Nishimura Shin-Ichiro; Lee Yuan Chuan (2019) Glycoblotting of Egg White Reveals Diverse N-Glycan Expression in Quail Species. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry, 67(1), 531-540.
Schnaar, Ronald L.; Lee, Yuan C. (2017) Discoveries of the structures of sialic acid and CMP-sialic acid (1957-1960): a letter from Saul Roseman. Glycobiology, 27(6), 513-517.
Utratna, Marta; Annuk, Heidi; Gerlach, Jared Q.; Lee, Yuan C.; Kane, Marian; Kilcoyne, Michelle; Joshi, Lokesh (2017) Rapid screening for specific glycosylation and pathogen interactions on a 78 species avian egg white glycoprotein microarray. Scientific Reports, 7(1), 1-12.
Schnaar Ronald L; Lee Yuan (2017) Discoveries of the structures of sialic acid and CMP-sialic acid (1957-1960): a letter from Saul Roseman. Glycobiology, 27(6), 513-517.
Utratna Marta; Annuk Heidi; Gerlach Jared Q; Kane Marian; Joshi Lokesh; Gerlach Jared Q; Lee Yuan C; Kilcoyne Michelle (2017) Rapid screening for specific glycosylation and pathogen interactions on a 78 species avian egg white glycoprotein microarray. Scientific Reports, 7(1), 6477.
Herczeg Mihaly; Mezo Erika; Molnar Nikolett; Borbas Aniko; Ng Sim-Kun; Lee Yuan-Chuan; Dah-Tsyr Chang Margaret; Lee Yuan-Chuan (2016) Inhibitory Effect of Multivalent Rhamnobiosides on Recombinant Horseshoe Crab Plasma Lectin Interactions with Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1. Chemistry, an Asian journal, 11(23), 3398-3413.
Ng, Sim-Kun; Huang, Yu-Tsyr; Lee, Yuan-Chuan; Low, Ee-Ling; Chiu, Cheng-Hsun; Chen, Shiu-Ling; Mao, Liang- Chi; Chang, Margaret Dah-Tsyr (2014) A recombinant horseshoe crab plasma lectin recognizes specific pathogen-associated molecular patterns of bacteria through rhamnose. PLoS One, 9(12), e115296/1-e115296/20, 20 pp.
Hung, Ta-Jen; Tomiya, Noboru; Chang, Tse-Hao; Cheng, Wen-Chi; Kuo, Ping-Hsueh; Ng, Sim-Kun; Lien, Pei- Chun; Lee, Yuan-Chuan; Chang, Margaret Dah-Tsyr (2013) Functional characterization of ECP-heparin interaction: a novel molecular model. PLoS One, 8(12), e82585/1-e82585/14, 14 pp.
Tae, Hyun-Jin; Kim, Ji Min; Park, Sungha; Tomiya, Noboru; Li, Geng; Wei, Wen; Petrashevskaya, Natalia; Ahmet, Ismayil; Pang, John; Cruschwitz, Stefanie; et al (2013) The N-glycoform of sRAGE is the key determinant for its therapeutic efficacy to attenuate injury-elicited arterial inflammation and neointimal growth. Journal of Molecular Medicine (Heidelberg, Germany), 91(12), 1369-1381.
Chang, Be-Ming; Lin, Hsin-Hung; Su, Long-Jyun; Lin, Wen-Der; Lin, Ruey-Jen; Tzeng, Yan-Kai; Lee, Reiko T.; Lee, Yuan C.; Yu, Alice L.; Chang, Huan-Cheng (2013) Highly Fluorescent Nanodiamonds Protein-Functionalized for Cell Labeling and Targeting. Advanced Functional Materials, 23(46), 5737-5745.
Tomiya, Noboru; Jardim, Juliette G.; Hou, Jennifer; Pastrana-Mena, Rebecca; Dinglasan, Rhoel R.; Lee, Yuan C. (2013) Liver-targeting of primaquine-(poly--glutamic acid) and its degradation in rat hepatocytes. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 21(17), 5275-5281.
Hung Ta-Jen; Chang Tse-Hao; Cheng Wen-Chi; Kuo Ping-Hsueh; Ng Sim-Kun; Lien Pei-Chun; Tomiya Noboru; Lee Yuan-Chuan; Chang Margaret Dah-Tsyr (2013) Functional characterization of ECP-heparin interaction: a novel molecular model. PloS One, 8(12), e82585.
Tae Hyun-Jin; Kim Ji Min; Park Sungha; Tomiya Noboru; Li Geng; Wei Wen; Petrashevskaya Natalia; Ahmet Ismayil; Pang John; Cruschwitz Stefanie; et al (2013) The N-glycoform of sRAGE is the key determinant for its therapeutic efficacy to attenuate injury-elicited arterial inflammation and neointimal growth. Journal of molecular medicine (Berlin, Germany), 91(12), 1369-81.
Tomiya Noboru; Jardim Juliette G; Hou Jennifer; Pastrana-Mena Rebecca; Dinglasan Rhoel R; Lee Yuan C (2013) Liver-targeting of primaquine-(poly--glutamic acid) and its degradation in rat hepatocytes. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry, 21(17), 5275-81.
Lee, R. T., Wang, M. H., Lin, W. J., and Lee, Y. C. (2011) New and more efficient multivalent glyco-ligands for asialoglycoprotein receptor of mammalian hepatocytes. Bioorg Med Chem, 19, 2494-500
Lee, R. T., Hsu, T. L., Huang, S. K., Hsieh, S. L., Wong, C. H., and Lee, Y. C. (2011) Survey of immune-related, mannose/fucose-binding C-type lectin receptors reveals widely divergent sugar-binding specificities. Glycobiology, 21, 512-20 PMC3055596
Zhou, Y., Kawasaki, H., Hsu, S.-C., Lee, R. T., Yao, X., Plunkett, B., Fu, J., Yang, K., Lee, Y. C., and Huang, S.-K. (2010) Oral tolerance to food-induced systemic anaphylaxis mediated by the C-type lectin SIGNR1. Nat. Med. (N. Y., NY, U. S.), 16, 1128-33
Lee, Y. C. (2010) Warfare between pathogens and hosts: the trickery of sugars. Trends Glycosci. Glycotechnol., 22, 95-106
Hsu, S. C., Chen, C. H., Tsai, S. H., Kawasaki, H., Hung, C. H., Chu, Y. T., Chang, H. W., Zhou, Y., Fu, J., Plunkett, B., Su, S. N., Vieths, S., Lee, R. T., Lee, Y. C., and Huang, S. K. (2010) Functional interaction of common allergens and a C-type lectin receptor, dendritic cell-specific ICAM3-grabbing non-integrin (DC-SIGN), on human dendritic cells. J Biol Chem, 285, 7903-10 PMC2832940
Suzuki, N., Su, T. H., Wu, S. W., Yamamoto, K., Khoo, K. H., and Lee, Y. C. (2009) Structural analysis of N-glycans from gull egg white glycoproteins and egg yolk IgG. Glycobiology, 19, 693-706
Liu, J. C., Chen, W. J., Li, C. W., Mong, K. K., Tsai, P. J., Tsai, T. L., Lee, Y. C., and Chen, Y. C. (2009) Identification of Pseudomonas aeruginosa using functional magnetic nanoparticle-based affinity capture combined with MALDI MS analysis. Analyst, 134, 2087-94
Lee, Y. C. (2009) Neoglycoproteins, chemistry of. Wiley Encyclopedia of Chemical Biology, 3, 298-307
Gillmeister, M. P., Tomiya, N., Jacobia, S. J., Lee, Y. C., Gorfien, S. F., and Betenbaugh, M. J. (2009) An HPLC-MALDI MS method for N-glycan analyses using smaller size samples: Application to monitor glycan modulation by medium conditions. Glycoconjugate J., 26, 1135-49
Argayosa, A. M., and Lee, Y. C. (2009) Identification of L-fucose-binding proteins from the Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus L.) serum. Fish & Shellfish Immunology, 27, 478-85
Liu, J. C., Tsai, P. J., Lee, Y. C., and Chen, Y. C. (2008) Affinity capture of uropathogenic Escherichia coli using pigeon ovalbumin-bound Fe3O4@Al2O3 magnetic nanoparticles. Anal Chem, 80, 5425-32
2007 and older
Hsu, S. C., Tsai, T. H., Kawasaki, H., Chen, C. H., Plunkett, B., Lee, R. T., Lee, Y. C., and Huang, S. K. (2007) Antigen coupled with Lewis-x trisaccharides elicits potent immune responses in mice. J Allergy Clin Immunol., 119, 1522-8.
Hsu, N. Y., Yang, W. B., Wong, C. H., Lee, Y. C., Lee, R. T., Wang, Y. S., and Chen, C. H. (2007) Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry of polysaccharides with 2',4',6'-trihydroxyacetophenone as matrix. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, 21, 2137-46.
Chang, C. C., Liang, Y. C., Klutz, A., Hsu, C. I., Lin, C. F., Mold, D. E., Chou, T. C., Lee, Y. C. and Huang R. C. (2006) Reversal of multidrug resistance by two nordihydroguaiaretic acid derivatives, M4N and maltose-M3N, and their use in combination with doxorubicin or paclitaxel. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol., 58, 640-53.
C. Chan, H. Lam, Y.C. Lee, X.-M. Zhang (2006) Analytical method validation and instrument performance verification. Anal Bioanal Chem., 384(1), 22-3. No abstract available.