Registering for Research Credits

1. Find a faculty sponsor

A faculty sponsor is a full-time faculty member in either the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences or the Whiting School of Engineering. Your faculty sponsor is responsible for determining the appropriate academic product (i.e., paper, journal, class presentation, etc.) you will present for grading and will submit your grade and award credits at the end of the term. The academic product you will produce is determined at the time of registration, not after you have completed the experience. If you will be working in a lab, your PI may not necessarily be your faculty sponsor. If your research will be conducted at the Medical School, your faculty sponsor still must be a Homewood faculty member.

2. Complete and sign the Undergraduate Research Form

This form is available in the Office of Academic Advising and the Registrar’s Office and is due to the Registrar’s Office by the end of the drop period.

3. Determine the number of research credits to take

Research can be done for 1 to 3 credits. The amount of credit to be earned is determined by the scope of the proposed project and expectations of the final product. You may earn up to 6 credits total per academic year (which begins in the summer) of “independent work,” which includes research, independent study, and internship. Research for credit may be done elsewhere, but you must have a JHU Homewood faculty sponsor. If you plan to do research elsewhere during the summer, regular summer session registration deadlines must be followed.

Neuroscience students have different academic and registration requirements to receive credit for research. Read more on the Neuroscience website.