Students wishing to earn a minor in music must take the following 19 credits:
- Music Theory I (3 credits)
- Musicianship I (2 credits) (Co-requisite with Music Theory I)
- Music Theory II (3 credits)
- Musicianship II (2 credits)
- Intro to Western Classical Music (3 credits)
- Two Musicology seminars (6 credits)
- Two semesters of lessons or performance in an ensemble
Rudiments of Music Theory is not required for the minor but may be necessary to place into Music Theory I and Musicianship I.
One Musicology seminar should be a 300-level course.
Following remote announcement of all undergraduate classes, UPDATE on Monday, August 17, 2020:
For Fall 2020 Music Theory Placements, please save one of the following blocks of time on Thursday, August 20, 2020
9:00 AM to 10:00 AM EDT and
4:00 PM to 5:00 PM EDT
for Zoom session interviews.
PLEASE REGISTER HERE:
Declaring the Minor
To declare a minor, students must obtain a Minor Declaration Form from the Office of Academic Advising or the Office of the Registrar. The program director serves as the advisor for all music minors.
During the spring semester of their junior year, students minoring in music are required to fill out and submit a Minor Progress Form to ensure that they will complete the coursework in time to graduate.