Students wishing to earn a minor in music must take the following 18 credits:
- Music Theory I (3 credits)
- Musicianship I (2 credits) (Co-requisite with Music Theory I)
- Music Theory II (3 credits)
- Musicianship II (2 credits)
- Intro to Western Classical Music (3 credits)
- Two Musicology seminars (6 credits)
- Two semesters of lessons or performance in an ensemble
Rudiments of Music Theory is not required for the minor but may be necessary to place into Music Theory I and Musicianship I.
Music Theory and Musicianship placements will take place Tuesday, Aug. 28 from 1-3 p.m. in the Mattin Center on the Homewood Campus. Music Theory placement will be in Room 105 and Musicianship placement will be in Room 112.
Declaring the Minor
To declare a minor, students must obtain a Minor Declaration Form from the Office of Academic Advising or the Office of the Registrar. The program coordinator serves as the advisor for all music minors.
During the spring semester of their junior year, students minoring in music are required to fill out and submit a Minor Progress Form to ensure that they will complete the coursework in time to graduate.