Enrollment in the Latin American Studies major and minor has been suspended for the 2018-2019 academic year. For questions, please contact the Interim Director of Undergraduate Studies Sydney Van Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students who decide to major or minor in Latin American studies are required to study Spanish or Portuguese. Language requirements can be waived for those who demonstrate suitable knowledge of either Spanish or Portuguese, or in an Amerindian language such as Quechua or Guarani. The general Introduction to Latin American Studies course is required for the major; however students may also take AS.100.115 Modern Latin America as a substitute.
Though students may choose to emphasize a particular area of specialization within Latin American studies (e.g., politics, public health, literature), the major and minor programs require a distribution of courses across a variety of areas.
- 4 lower-level courses (100- and 200-level courses) dealing with Latin America, one of which must be Introduction to Latin American Studies (361.130)
- 5 upper-level courses (300-level courses and above) focused on Latin America
- 2 elective courses (at any level) relevant or with reference to Latin America
- Language proficiency through the advanced level in either Spanish or Portuguese is required. Language requirements may be waived for those who demonstrate a demonstrable proficiency in either Spanish or Portuguese
- No grade below C- will be accepted for the major requirements
- To be eligible for honors in Latin American studies, a 3.5 GPA in the major courses as well as the completion of a senior honors thesis in Latin American studies is required.
- 4 upper-level (300 or above) courses focused on Latin America
- 2 additional courses at any level dealing with Latin America. Note: 3-credit Intersession or summer session non-language courses offered by JHU may be used to fulfill this requirement
- Language proficiency through the intermediate level in either Spanish or Portuguese
- No grade below C- will be accepted for the minor requirement.