During the past year, Dean Christopher Celenza has been meeting with Krieger School faculty members, deans, department chairs, Shared Governance Council, and other members of the school community to begin to chart the school’s future as a leader among arts and sciences institutions. After considering ideas and trends such as changes in undergraduate student composition; the changing nature of the doctoral degree; emerging fields destined to transform research; and the desire to understand our sometimes complex society, four overarching priorities emerged:
- Revitalize the undergraduate experience.
- Build on Krieger School strengths and grow the size of our faculty.
- Enhance the graduate student experience.
- Promote public facing scholarship and community engagement.
Learn more at the upcoming listening sessions. The dean’s office has also created a Conversation Guide for these sessions.
The dean will host multiple listening sessions about the strategic plan to gather feedback and better inform that finalized plan. If you can’t attend a session, you can also leave feedback in our General Comments and Questions form.
Friday, Oct. 14, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m., Hodson 210
Listening Sessions on Priority 1 : Undergraduate Education
- Thursday, Nov. 10, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m., O’Connor Rec Center, Multipurpose Room B
- Friday, Nov. 11, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m., O’Connor Rec Center, Multipurpose Room B
Moderated by Erin Rowe, Vice Dean for Undergraduate Education
- Bertrand Garcia-Moreno, Vice Dean for Natural Sciences
- Jessie Martin, Assistant Dean for Academic Advising
- Matt Pavesich, Director of the University Writing Program
- Aliza Watters, Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Curriculum
Listening Session on Priority 2, Faculty Growth in Humanities and Social Sciences
Monday, Nov. 28, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m., Olin 305
Moderated by Chris Cannon, Vice Dean for Humanities and Social Sciences
- Rebecca Brown, History of Art
- Hahrie Han, SNF Agora Institute
- Andy Perrin, Sociology
- Mark Thompson, English
Listening Session on Priority 2, Faculty Growth in the Natural Sciences
Friday, Dec. 2, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m., Olin 305
Moderated by Bertrand Garcia-Moreno, Vice Dean for Natural Sciences
- Ed Connor, Mind/Brain Institute
- Vince Hilser, Biology
- Sabine Stanley, Earth & Planetary Sciences