The Center for Visual Arts (CVA) engages and challenges students in the study and practice of the visual arts to encourage innovative making and thinking, risk taking and creative problem solving that is applicable to research across disciplines. Visual arts courses examine contemporary and historical perspectives in art while providing an inclusive environment where ideas are shared and acted upon. Central to this mission of challenging students and advancing their knowledge and skills in the arts are faculty led multidisciplinary collaboration within art making practices, academic programs at JHU, and the greater Baltimore community.
About the CVA
The faculty in the CVA consist of working artists active in their field of research who are committed to mentoring students whose own research activities combine creativity, innovation, and practice at the highest level. Students studying visual arts can choose from analog and digital photography, fibers, painting & drawing, mixed media, visual communication, silkscreen printing and book arts, as well as advanced projects classes where students create their own body of work.
The CVA currently has three full time faculty and eight adjunct faculty. See the people page for more information.
Each spring the CVA hosts a student exhibition and reception showcasing student work created over the academic year.
Facilities and Equipment
Dedicated art studios equipped with:
- Etching Press
- Drying Rack
- Lincoln Vacuum UV Exposure Unit (40” x 39”)
- 2 Portable free-standing monitors (40”)
- 2 Utility Sinks and one silk screen wash out station
- Flat files
- Easels & painting tables
- model stand
- Drawing Horses
Photography Equipment at the CVA
- Nikon DSLR Cameras (camera body with 18-55mm lenses and memory card)
- Camera Tripods
- 14 iMac Computers (12 student stations, 1 printer station, and 1 teacher station)
- Canon Pro 300 Inkjet Printer
- Epson V600 Flatbed Scanner
- X-Rite 1! Display Pro (monitor calibration tool)
- Apurture LCD Lights
- Strobe Lights
Lounge/Common Area/Hallway equipped with:
- 39 individual lockers (12” x 22” x 8”)
- Wall monitor (57”)
- Basic Kitchen appliances