News and Announcements
- New Course for Spring 2015: The Frontier in Late Imperial China
- Look at EAS Spring 2015 Courses here.
- The East Asian Studies Program welcomes Jessica Fedderly, who will serve as the new Academic Program Coordinator for East Asian Studies and International Studies. Jessica holds a BA in East Asian Studies and History from Hopkins and a Masters in Conflict Analysis and Resolution from George Mason University. She comes back to Hopkins after serving as a teacher and an administrator at private high schools in the Northern Virginia area, where she worked to develop their academic programs. Jessica has also been a swim coach for USA swim teams in Baltimore and Northern Virginia. Her email address is email@example.com and her desk is located at the entrance of the Mergenthaler 240 suite. Please stop by and introduce yourselves when you have a chance.
- Missed one of our talks? Read write-ups of the EAS Speakers series here.
- "The Fall 2014 EAS Newsletter is out! Please click here to view a copy."
- Call for papers: JHU Annual Public Health in Asia Symposium. Please click here to view the CFP.
- The submission deadline to apply for the Stephen & Lynn Browne Graduate Student Teaching Fellowship in East Asian Studies for Spring 2015 has been extended to September 15, 2014. All ABD students are eligible to apply. Download the application here.
- We are now accepting applications for the 2014-2015 Student Advisory Committee. Please submit your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 24, 2014. Download the application here.
2013-2014 SAC members with Dr. Erin Chung, EAS Director, and Dr. Yuki Johnson, Center for Learning Education Director.
From left: Danny Jeon (2017), Missy Levy (2016), Dennis Hong (2015), Lucas Shin (2016), Alex Chambers (2016), and
Anna Zeng (2016). Not pictured: Alexandra Tanzola (2014), Paul Shin (2015), and John Santolucito (2017).
- The submission deadline to apply for the EAS Research/Training and Conference Grants for Winter-Spring 2015 is October 15. Download the application here.
- New Fall 2014 EAS course: AS.310.307 Governance and Politics in China, MW 4:30-5:45pm, Yao Li. See full description here.
- We have three exciting workshops scheduled for Fall 2014: “The History of Meditation and Healing in East Asia” (October 13); “Imagined Communities and Frontier Politics in China” (October 21-22); and “Careers in Foreign Policy” (November 4).
- The third cohort of the China-STEM program have returned from Nanjing! Ian Miller (China-STEM 2014, Health Sciences Track) wrote the following about the program: “Participating in the Hopkins China STEM program was a unique and invaluable opportunity. The tailored scientific language training I received and the connections I made here are priceless. I have spent the early stages of my career wondering how to best integrate my interests in language and science. This program offers an outstanding solution. Through its framework I was able to make meaningful connections with Chinese peers and even establish initial collaborative research projects.” Find out more about the program here.