Students have the ability to study abroad in China, Japan, and Korea through programs organized by the JHU Office of Study Abroad. Hopkins in Tokyo is tailored for East Asian studies majors.

Hopkins in Tokyo

This Johns Hopkins departmental study abroad program was specifically designed with East Asian studies majors and Japanese language students in mind. This is a full-year exchange program between JHU and the University of Tokyo. Admission is competitive and students must have completed four semesters of college-level Japanese or the equivalent. For JHU students, there will be a seamless transition of credits between the University of Tokyo and JHU, and grades will also transfer.

Areas of Study: East Asian Studies, Japanese


The academic year at the University of Tokyo is from October to July.

Application Deadline: February 15


Admission to this program is competitive. Students must have completed four semesters of college-level Japanese or the equivalent, have a term GPA of 3.0 or above, and submit two faculty references, one of which should be from a Japanese language instructor.

Courses and Credits

Students will take either Japanese III/IV or Japanese V/VI, depending on their proficiency level. A special curriculum is provided for AIKOM (“Abroad in Komaba”) students at the Komaba campus of the University of Tokyo, which includes courses offered in English. Students whose Japanese is of a sufficiently high standard can take the courses offered to the regular University of Tokyo students of the upper division at the College of Arts and Sciences, with the exception of science courses.

The minimum coursework requirement for the AIKOM program is 16 credits per semester. The AIKOM Japanese course is worth 5 credits and all other courses are worth 2 credits each. Students typically take 6 classes per semester, including Japanese language.

Each AIKOM student has a Japanese student as his/her personal tutor. The tutors assist AIKOM students in various ways, both in academic matters and in daily life.

Scholarship and Grant Opportunities

Hopkins Study Abroad Grants

Outside Study Abroad Scholarships


Students receive accommodation at the University’s Mitaka International Hall of Residence, located about 40 minutes from Komaba by train and bus. This dormitory has single rooms furnished with a bed, desk, kitchenette, and shower. The students usually pay a little more than 10,000 yen (about $125) per month for the basic rent and utilities.

Onsite Support

The Komaba International Office and the Foreign Students Advisory Office provide support for international students at the University of Tokyo.


Students will be required to get a student visa for this program. Students should have a valid passport at the time of application. Information will be provided on the visa during program orientation.

Application Process

Students must complete the Hopkins Tokyo Application and return it by February 15 along with a personal statement, an unofficial transcript, passport photocopy, and two faculty references to:

Global Education Office
Johns Hopkins University
Imagine Center
3400 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21218
Tel: 410-516-8400
Email: [email protected]