Page last modified: January 22, 2021 at 12:49 pm

What can I do if I missed the meeting about how to teach remotely?

The meeting was recorded and can be viewed here. Additional tips on adapting courses for remote instruction can be found on The Hub.

What kind of security do I need to consider for online instruction?

At least one JHU professor has been “zoombombed.” This is when someone joins a room, grabs control as host and posts inappropriate images or rude text. You can prevent this with Zoom-specific information from the Center for Educational Resources. Including:

  • Email Zoom session URLs to students or post on a password-protected site like Blackboard. Don’t post them publicly.
  • Enable passwords on all Zoom rooms.
  • Disable participants’ ability to share their screen when they enter.  The host can enable participants to share their screen individually once the meeting begins.

How can a lab course be conducted online?

Instructors will be required to devise creative ways of teaching lab courses from a remote setting. The Center for Educational Resources offers several excellent options for teaching online.

What about courses that require students to use certain equipment?

Instructors will need to restructure these classes as best as they can. We recommend you refer to the original course objectives/learning goals to help guide you in creating new modes of learning for students.

What if students need help with online support or access?

Instructors should first poll students in their class to see which, if any, have any limitations regarding equipment or internet access. If they do, contact your local IT staff person for assistance.  

What should instructors do if they encounter challenges with assessment and grading?

As of now, basic grading options are not being changed or switched. The Center for Educational Resources offers helpful guidance on grading remotely.  

How can faculty members who have young children at home with limited childcare work from home?

Faculty members who have young children at home and who also must now teach online will need to do some creative juggling. One suggestion is to not teach live. They could record their lecture at a time when their children are sleeping, for example, and upload to the course site. 

To the extent possible, they could use the regular class time to engage in real time through a discussion chat board. Ultimately, though, there is the expectation that we will continue synchronous teaching in some form. 

Am I required to implement the assessments and grading that I included in my syllabus?

No. You may make reasonable adaptations to your assessments to accommodate the limitations of remote instruction and in light of the new grading policy. The Center for Educational Resources has created a resource to guide faculty as they redesign their assessments. That resource can be found here on the Center for Educational Resources website.

What if I notice that a student is failing to attend class or turn in work?

Instructors can reach out directly to students to check in, may raise a flag in Starfish, or may contact the Office of Academic Advising to follow up. 

Option 1, via Starfish:
  1. Log into and click the Starfish tab at the top (do NOT click on the “Courses” tab);
  2. In the upper right-hand search box, type the name of the student to be reported;
  3. Once that student’s information has appeared, click on the “flag” button on the upper left-hand portion of the screen.
  4. Scroll through the options and choose “Remote Class Attendance/Participation Concerns”, enter in any relevant notes, then click “save” at the bottom of the screen.
  5. The flag is thus raised and the assigned academic advisor notified. The advisor then contacts the student to troubleshoot.
  6. Please note — the student also receives notification that a flag has been raised.
Option 2, via email:
  1. The instructor sends an email regarding the student to
  2. The email is routed to the student’s academic advisor, who then contacts the student to troubleshoot.