Greetings from Youjoung (Yuna) Kim, host of the Korean Language Corner

Hello everyone!

I am Yuna Kim from Jeju, South Korea. I am a second-year PhD student in the Department of Anthropology. I will be leading the Korean Language Corner for this fall semester 2020.

Our Korean language Corner is for learners at any level. We will meet every Tuesday from 7:00 – 8:00 pm on the zoom link below. Please do not feel hesitant to come to our session even if you are a complete beginner or know only a few Korean words. I am here to help. No preparation is needed, unless you have a particular question, and I am open to any direction our session takes us.

For my research project, I am interested in how the violence of Jeju 4.3 is embedded in the everyday life of the survivors and the descendants. I am also interested in the diasporic experiences of Jeju-Zainichi Koreans in Osaka. In particular, I ask questions in the theme of violence, kinship, history, memory, and gender. Besides, I am currently studying how precarity is ingrained in the daily life of people in Korea during the pandemic of COVID-19.

I am looking forward to meeting you all and feel free to contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions!

Best, Yuna Kim Korean language corners

Facilitator: Youjoung (Yuna) Kim Tuesdays 7-8pm