International Students

Studying in a foreign country can be both challenging and exciting. International students often experience a period of cultural adjustment when they first arrive. These resources can help ease your transition process.

Online Trainings

Visa Information

The Office of International Student and Scholar Services assists all international students who have been accepted for full-time graduate study. Upon admission, international graduate students will be contacted by OIS to verify that they have adequate financial resources to meet the costs of living and graduate study in the United States. Enrolling students should consult with their departments before officially submitting the statement of financial resources form. 

Following this verification and a review of the graduate student’s application for proof of proficiency in English (TOEFL or IELTS score), international students will be sent the appropriate Certificate of Eligibility (also known as an I-20). If you have submitted all the correct paperwork to OIS and have heard back from them confirming the shipment location of your I-20, you can generally expect to receive the I-20 within a week or two. This means that from when you accept the offer of admission to when you receive your I-20 can be at least 6-8 weeks.

International graduate students will also receive instructions for filing a visa application, and general information to prepare them for study in the United States. Please be sure to wait to schedule your visa interview until after you have received your I-20.


Funding for international graduate students is limited. Awards may be made on the basis of academic achievement, and qualified international graduate students may apply for departmental support. However, they are not eligible for federal and state government funds used to provide scholarships or loans. 

A graduate student must be prepared to make arrangements for all possible financial needs before leaving his/her country, and should not count on obtaining scholarships, fellowships, employment, or other financial assistance after arrival in the United States.

Coming to the U.S. and JHU

Upon issuance of your F-1 or J-1 visa, you may then make your travel plans to enter the United States. F-1 and J-1 students are allowed to enter the U.S. no more than 30 days prior to the start date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019. Transfer students are exempt from this 30-day rule.

Newly enrolling international graduate students are required to arrive at JHU no later than the day before Graduate Student Orientation. If students do not arrive by the end of the first week of classes, international students may not be allowed to enter the country. All new international students need to check in with OIS when they arrive.