How to Apply

The online application is available for all programs. This application is used by both the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and the Whiting School of Engineering. You may disregard any engineering-related instructions.

Many programs of study have specific requirements or supplemental materials you should review before starting your application.

Please do not submit paper copies of any materials unless specifically requested.

Please note that materials (Writing Samples, Statement of Purpose, etc) should be submitted in English or must have a translation accompanying the item.

Before You Apply

You may want to prepare materials before beginning the online application. This includes:

Other Types of Applicants

Combined BA/MA, visiting graduate students or researchers, or internal graduate students (currently enrolled students who wish to be admitted to a second degree program, transfer into another program, or PhD students who wish to have a master’s degree conferred) need to contact their intended department before they can start an application.

Except in approved joint programs, the intention to pursue more than one doctorate program (for example: PhD/DMA/EdD/MD, etc.) degree simultaneously must be approved by the Homewood Graduate Board before the end of a student’s first year. 

More information about policies for visiting students and scholars is available on the Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs website.

Submitting Applications to Multiple Programs

You must submit separate online applications if you are applying to multiple programs in the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences. Departments do not share your admissions files with one another. GRE/TOEFL scores only need to be submitted once, but you will have to upload unofficial transcripts to each application separately, as well as have separate letters of recommendation uploaded directly into your applications.

Unofficial Transcripts

All applicants are required to upload unofficial transcripts of all previous college and university study to their online application. 

If your transcripts are not issued in English you must submit documents in both the original language and English translation from a professional third party service.

Applicants should also send a list of current courses and any other courses that will be taken before beginning graduate study at Johns Hopkins that do not appear on their transcripts. Transcripts for study abroad courses are not required, provided the courses and credits are listed on the transcripts of an applicant’s primary degree-granting institution. 

Requesting Recommendations

You will add your recommenders’ email addresses in your online application to request electronic letters of recommendations. Your recommender will receive instructions to submit an electronic recommendation through the system. Do not mail in letters of recommendation. 

We are also able to accept recommendation letters using Interfolio. Please use to have the letters sent to our office. Once the Office of Graduate Admissions and Enrollment receives the letter it will be added to your application within 14 days.

Statement of Purpose

Every department requires a statement of purpose, but individual departments may have special requests, and all are best prepared before you start the application.

M.F.A. applicants must include a two-page introduction and critique of their work in the statement of purpose. The statement should give insight into the scope and thoughtfulness of the work submitted, and a sense of the student’s ability to contribute to the Writing Seminars program.

Application Fee and Fee Waivers

A non-refundable fee of $75.00 is required for each application to the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences. Payment may be made via Visa, Mastercard, or Discover. The application fee may be waived for applicants with documented (must be uploaded within the application) registration/participation in one of the following programs: 

  • GEM
  • Department Request
  • Explore Hopkins participant
  • JHU BioREU
  • MMUF
  • JHU Undergraduate or Graduate Student
  • McNair Scholar
  • Vietnam Education Foundation
  • IRT
  • Graduate Horizons
  • Chocktaw/Chickasaw Scholarship Advisement Program
  • Baltimore Scholars Program
  • Leadership Alliance
  • UMBC Meyerhoff Program
  • Millenium Scholar
  • MIT Laureates & Leaders
  • National Name Exchange
  • oSTEM
  • Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program
  • Project 1000
  • MARC
  • Veteran/Active Military Personnel

To request a waiver based on financial hardship please select the option on the application and upload one of the following: FAFSA SAR Report, a letter from a college/university financial aid office, unemployment verification. Do not send tax returns. All documents will be reviewed and verified for satisfactory evidence.