Registering for Research Credits

To register for research credits for your funded project, you will need to follow these steps:

1. Find a faculty sponsor 

A faculty sponsor is a full-time faculty member in either the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences or the Whiting School of Engineering. Your faculty sponsor is responsible for determining the appropriate academic product (i.e., paper, journal, class presentation, etc.) you will present for grading and will submit your grade and award credits at the end of the term. The academic product you will produce is determined at the time of registration, not after you have completed the experience. If you will be working in a lab, your PI may not necessarily be your faculty sponsor. If your research will be conducted at the Medical School, your faculty sponsor still must be a Homewood faculty member. 

2. Determine the number of research credits to take 

Research can be done for 1 to 3 credits. The amount of credit to be earned is determined by the scope of the proposed project and expectations of the final product. You may earn up to 6 credits total per academic year (which begins in the summer) of “independent work,” which includes research, independent study, and internship. Research for credit may be done elsewhere, but you must have a JHU Homewood faculty sponsor. If you plan to do research elsewhere during the summer, you must still follow regular summer session registration deadlines. 

3. Complete and sign the online Independent Academic Work form 

Log into SIS. Under the Registration menu click on Online Forms. Select Independent Academic Work. 

Complete the form, providing full explanations where needed, and submit it. The form will be sent to your faculty sponsor for approval. Once the sponsor approves it, you will see the position/project in your Confirmed Enrollments screen in SIS. 

Neuroscience students have different academic and registration requirements to receive credit for research. Read more on the Neuroscience website