Appointments may be scheduled up to 2-3 weeks in advance of the date you are requesting. Because of limited staffing, students are advised to make an appointment several days in advance of when they would like to meet. Please do not schedule any appointments for the same day.
Hours: Sunday to Thursday, 2 pm to 10 pm. Appointments always begin on the hour. Each student is allowed up to two appointments per week and up to three appointments on the same draft.
Who We Serve
- Undergraduate and graduate students in the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering
- Recent KSAS and WSE alumni who are preparing personal statements for applications to graduate or professional school
Due to limited staffing and high demand, the Writing Center is unable to assist students in other JHU divisions (such as Business, Public Health, Advanced International Studies, Peabody, Education, Nursing, or Medicine), JHU employees, or children of JHU employees.
What We Do
Our appointments are intended to help students with academic writing such as essays and papers, or personal statements for applications to graduate or professional school. We do not offer proofreading or copyediting, assistance with creative writing (fiction, poetry, drama or screenplays), business memos, reports or presentations, visual or multimedia works, technical writing or test preparation.
If you would like help with your resume, CV, or cover letter, please contact the Life Design Lab. If you need additional ESL services, you can consider the Center for Leadership Education’s ESL Consulting or ESL courses.
While we are happy to help you brainstorm ideas for a writing assignment, we would prefer that you bring in a piece of writing (however partial or unfinished) so that we can more effectively help you with your argumentation, thesis development, and other writing needs!
Scheduling an Appointment
Due to COVID-19 campus closures, all appointments are currently held remotely, whether by phone or over Zoom. Please note that all appointments will be held according to Eastern Standard Time (EST).
For Homewood Undergraduates
- Login to Blackboard.
- Select the Starfish tab at the top.
- Select My Success Network, and then select the Writing Center.
- Choose an available date/time and enter your information. You will automatically receive a confirmation email. You can also cancel and reschedule your appointment using Starfish.
- Please indicate whether you would prefer an appointment by phone or over Zoom. We request that you provide a phone number even if you have opted for a Zoom appointment in case we run into any technical difficulties. You can enter this information into Starfish or by emailing our Gmail account.
For Homewood Graduate Students and Recent Alums
- Please email us, with the following information listed in your email, in this order:
- your name (first and last)
- your JHED ID (first letter of first name + beginning of last name + number, e.g., jhopkin76)
- course name, number, and instructor; or personal statement type
- four possible times you could meet
- Our staff will reply to your email no later than the end of our next working day.
- If you need to cancel, please email us.
- Please include your phone number in your email.