Appointments may be scheduled up to 2-3 weeks in advance of the date you are requesting. Because of limited staffing, students are advised to make an appointment several days in advance of when they would like to meet. We can accommodate in-person walk-ins depending on availability.
Hours: Sunday to Thursday, 2 pm to 10 pm. Appointments always begin on the hour and last 45 minutes. Each student is allowed up to two appointments per week in busy times.
Who We Serve
- Students enrolled in degree programs on the Homewood Campus.
- Recent KSAS and WSE alumni who are preparing personal statements for applications to graduate or professional school
What We Do
Our appointments are intended to help students with academic writing such as essays and papers, or personal statements for applications to graduate or professional school at any stage of the writing process. You may be trying to brainstorm ideas for an assignment or you may be in the final stages of writing. We are also able to help you become a better editor of your own writing. You can let us know what you would like to work on when you schedule your appointment.
We have a few tutors who are able to assist with creative writing assignments. Check out the tutor bios when you sign up for an appointment.
If you would like help with your resume, CV, or cover letter, please contact the Life Design Lab. If you need additional ESL services (such as help with speaking skills or a grammar class), you can consider the Center for Leadership Education’s ESL Consulting or ESL courses.
If you need to reschedule or cancel an appointment:
- Please let us know so that we can see others. The earlier we know, the more likely we can fit in someone else. If you have to cancel, please do at least 2 hours before your scheduled appointment. If you must cancel an appointment 30 (or fewer) minutes prior to your appointment, you will need to call the Writing Center directly at 410-516-4258. (If you are canceling less than 30 minutes before your appointment, you must call.) See below for our policy on missed or “no-show” appointments.
- To delete your appointment:
- Log in to WC Online and select your appointment. A new window will open.
- Check the “Delete this reservation?” box at the bottom of the page.
- Select “Save changes.”
- We hope to see you back again soon! Those who miss an appointment and do not show up are marked “no-shows.”
- If you accidentally miss one appointment, we’ll send you a reminder of our policies. Those with two no-shows in one semester will forfeit appointment privileges for the remainder of the semester. However, you can walk into the Writing Center to see if we have an available tutor.
Arriving late to your appointment:
- Those who arrive ten or more minutes late for an appointment may be marked as a no-show if another writer is waiting to see your tutor. If you know you will be late, you will need to call the Writing Center directly at 410-516-4258.
Writers are limited to a maximum of two appointments per week.
- There are two main reasons for this limit. First, we’d like you to have time to develop the writing strategies that you discussed with your tutor, so it’s good to have a little cushion between appointments. Second, we wish there were more of us, but unfortunately, we can only staff a few tutors per hour. The appointment limit is therefore two pre-scheduled tutorial sessions per week. That said, you can try your luck and drop into the Writing Center during our open hours; if a tutor is available, then we’d be happy to see you.
No back-to-back appointments. You will see that WC Online restricts scheduling two appointments in a row. Two hours of tutoring the same writer can be quite draining for tutors, and writers need time in between appointments to work on their own and develop the writing strategies discussed with the tutor.