FMS Students Serve as First Readers for the 2024 Baltimore Screenwriters Competition

FMS students provided script coverage for the 19th annual Baltimore Screenwriters Competition, sponsored by the Baltimore Film Office at the Baltimore Office for Promotion and the Arts. Winners will be announced at the Maryland Film Festival in May. Under the supervision of FMS Senior Lecturer Lucy Bucknell, students were first readers for both features and shorts. Here’s what they had to say about the experience:

Mia DeAngelo, Class of 2024

It was such a pleasure to serve as a first reader for the Baltimore Screenwriters Competition this year. Through classes and internships, I have had the opportunity to read and analyze scripts before, but judging for the competition exposed me to the fascinating perspectives of Baltimore screenwriters. The screenplays I read offered so much originality and creativity in their storytelling within the setting of Baltimore. Writing coverage on these scripts was a very valuable experience because it encouraged me to think both critically and constructively in my evaluations. I believe that my work with the competition improved my analysis skills tremendously, helping me become a better writer myself and acquire the necessary skills to succeed in the film industry. I really enjoyed connecting with the local film culture through reading for the Baltimore Screenwriters Competition and I hope to see all the stories on the big screen soon!

Anne Radin, Class of 2024

As an aspiring producer and Baltimore resident of four years, it was such an honor to judge pieces for the Baltimore Screenwriting Competition. It was a special experience to read scripts focused on the Baltimore experience, and I was blown away by the writers’ creativity, originality, and skill. I am grateful to the Johns Hopkins FMS program for preparing me to participate in something like this.

Rex Siu, Class of 2025

From Baltimore’s baseball team to its nightlife, the scripts I was assigned varied in tone and genre but shared a genuine love for the city. I’m thankful that, a year before leaving, I had the opportunity to immerse myself in the city’s quirky charm through this special occasion, which aligned with my passion for storytelling. Reading, critiquing, and appreciating those scripts made me think about the stories I want to tell and helped me grow as a reader and writer.