What are the Lab Fees?

The department charges non-refundable lab fees to all students taking production course and/or courses that require a projectionist. Students from other departments and schools are also assessed the fees when registered for relevant courses. These fees are added through student accounts at the end of the drop period each semester.

How can I check out equipment for my student projects?

Using your MICA login credentials, you can check out equipment from the JHU/MICA Film Centre video cage using webcheckout.

Will FMS faculty members write a recommendation letter for me?

If you need to ask a faculty member for a letter of recommendation, please contact him or her a minimum of 10 days prior to the due date.  Any faculty member receiving a request for a recommendation that is due more quickly may decline the request.

Independent Study

What is an independent study?

An independent study is when you pursue a topic of special interest that is not covered in regular course offerings. You must initiate the process. The content and expectations are formalized in negotiations between you and the faculty sponsor. The credits assigned to an independent study cannot contain an internship component, although it is acknowledged that an internship experience may inform the academic product(s) of an independent study.

Can I do an independent study in the summer?

Yes. Regular summer session registration deadlines must be followed.

How will study abroad impact my film major?

Students who are considering study abroad should attempt to schedule their time away from campus for either a summer, the spring of sophomore year, or the fall of junior year.