Severn Teakle Wallis Award
This award is for outstanding essays in Spanish. The award comprises:
- A certificate
- Any undergraduate student completing the Spanish major’s last three-credit course
- Minimum Major GPA 3.5
To apply for the award, please submit the following documents by April 1st (spring graduation), and November 1st (fall graduation), to [email protected]:
- Application form
- Unofficial copy of the student’s transcript
- Digital copy of the Spanish Essay to be considered for the award
Professor Anthony J.R. Russell-Wood was an internationally distinguished expert on Brazil and the Portuguese-speaking world. He joined the history department in 1971, and at his death in 2010, was the Herbert Baxter Adams Professor of History. The Anthony J.R. Russell-Wood Undergraduate Award was established in 2013 by his wife, Mrs. Hannelore Russell-Wood, with an initial five-year gift.
The award comprises:
- A certificate
- A travel allowance of $2,000
Any student enrolled in the Portuguese Language Program, who has an intermediate level of competence or above.
Students can be in any year of study, but must plan to be full-time at Johns Hopkins in the year following acceptance of their award (seniors are not eligible). Graduate students researching on Brazil and committed to study Portuguese are also encouraged to apply.
The award winner:
- Is entirely free to create his or her own study or research program; however, students are required to join the JHU programs to Brazil
- Must use the award within one year of receiving it
- Must visit the Russell-Wood collections at the UFBA (Federal University of Bahia in Salvador), the Santa Casa de Misericordia in Salvador, and the National Library in Rio de Janeiro.
To apply for the award, please submit the following documents by March 8th (spring semester), and September 29th (fall semester), to the Portuguese Language Program Director Dr. Azeredo-Cerqueira ([email protected] Gilman 469A):
- A completed application form
- One unofficial copy of the student’s transcript
- A 1–2-page cover letter (in Portuguese) to the Selecting Committee indicating:
- How relevant the award is for you and for your academic development
- How the award would enhance your Portuguese language skills and your knowledge of Brazilian history and culture.
- A short (2 pages) research project
- A letter of support from a Hopkins faculty member (no graduate student/TA letters, please) familiar with the student’s academic work. Letters should be submitted no later than March 4 (spring semester) and October 1 (fall semester).
Other aspects considered:
- Performance in Portuguese language and/or culture courses
- Student’s GPA of 3.0 or higher
Awards will be announced two weeks after the deadline.