Undergraduate Admissions

We accept applications for the fall semester from August through January (through March for transfer applicants) for undergraduate admission. The application process for international students is the same as the process for domestic students, with a few additional required documents. Visit apply.jhu.edu for everything you need for undergraduate admissions.

Graduate Admissions

The graduate admissions cycle begins in the fall of the year prior to the applicant’s anticipated entry date. Applicants must complete and submit the online application and the supplemental application materials to the Graduate Affairs and Admissions Office no later than January 15. Admissions decisions are mailed by early March, with the requirement that admitted applicants accept or decline on or before April 15.

Complete instructions for mailing materials, including the mailing label and cover sheet, can be found on the Graduate Admissions and Enrollment Office website.

Important Graduate Admissions Dates

  • October through mid-January (year prior to anticipated entry date): Complete and submit application materials
  • January 15: Deadline for submission of all materials
  • January–February: Faculty review applications
  • March: Admissions visiting day. Decision letters are mailed
  • April 15: Deadline for admitted students to accept or decline our offer

Required Materials for the Application

  • Online application form
  • Statement of purpose
  • Three letters of recommendation
  • Transcripts from each college or university attended*
  • TOEFL scores for international students
  • Writing sample*
  • Application fee

*Graduating seniors will be asked to supply a transcript that includes fall semester grades and a final paper from a course taken that semester.

Please note: The GRE is not required to apply to these programs.

Applying Online

All applicants should apply online. Once you submit your application, you will receive an email from the Graduate Admissions server giving you a user ID and password. You can then log in to monitor the status of your application as the receipt of your supplemental materials is recorded in the system.

Financial Aid and Other Costs

All applicants who are admitted to our programs are admitted fully funded up to five years. This means that the department covers the cost of full-time tuition and a fellowship for the academic year (September through May).

The department may cover the one-time matriculation fee of $500 and the cost of  health insurance coverage during the student’s five years (health insurance is required and students will not be permitted to register without proof of health insurance coverage).

Each year, the Italian section of the department admits one student on a Singleton Fellowship. This fellowship covers full tuition and a stipend for the student’s first year in the program. The student on the Singleton Fellowship receives $3,000 additional funding for summer research-related travel expenses.

Frequently Asked Questions

My native language is not English, but I have been studying in an English-speaking institution for more than two years. Do I need to take the TOEFL?

Students whose native language is not English and who have been studying in an English-speaking institution for more than two years (immediately prior to their anticipated entry into JHU) do not need to re-take the TOEFL. However, the student should upload unofficial copies of their score reports with their application. The TOEFL is required for all students whose native language is not English and who have not studied at an English-speaking institution for at least two years immediately prior to entering JHU. 

Can my writing sample be in French/German/Italian/Spanish?

Yes. Writing samples in English are also accepted.

Do my letters of recommendation have to be in English?

Letters of recommendation may be submitted in English or in French, German, Italian, or Spanish.

Do my transcripts have to be in English?

Transcripts and all accompanying transcript documents not in English or the language of the section to which you are applying must be submitted with certified translations into English. Please refer to the Graduate Admissions site for more instructions on transcripts.

Are there any teaching opportunities for graduate students?

Yes. The department believes that apprentice teaching is an integral part of a graduate student’s education in language pedagogy. Therefore, all students are required to perform apprentice teaching during their course of study in the program. Students teach one section of an undergraduate-level language course each semester that they are in the program, with the exception of two semesters. The exempted semesters are for study abroad. Students who have achieved ABD (All But Dissertation) status may compete for a Dean’s Teaching Fellowship. This fellowship affords the recipient the opportunity to teach a course of his or her own design, usually relating to the student’s area of interest or research.