Students who meet the criteria for honors will receive a special notation in the graduation program and on their transcripts.
During the semester prior to graduation, students who meet the cumulative GPA requirement for honors will receive an email from the program administrator. Note: Students will receive two emails: one from Academic Advising and one from the Behavioral Biology Office. The Academic Advising deadline is usually a month after the program deadline since the program administrator needs to verify that all honor applicants indeed meet the requirements, before submitting a final list with names to Academic Advising.
Departmental honors are conferred upon graduating seniors who meet all of the following criteria:
- Cumulative and major GPA of at least 3.5.
- Six credits of research related to Behavioral Biology.
- Presentation of research findings at JHU DREAMS
- or another conference
- OR completion of an Honors Thesis in Behavioral Biology.
- (Note the Honors thesis will completely replace a presentation as a requirement for graduates in 2025).
- Letter of recommendation from the research mentor attesting to the student’s significant contribution to the research process. (Recommender emails directly to Dr. Bohn)
To submit materials: email the Honors Excel Workbook (there are 2 sheets to complete) to Dr Bohn. Have your recommender email Dr. Bohn your letter of recommendation directly (with your name in the email subject line)
- December 2023 conferral deadline: 4 p.m. Friday, September 29th
- May 2023 conferral deadline: 4 p.m. Friday, February 17th
Contact Dr. Bohn if you have any questions!
After submission you will be asked to provide:
- Proof of presentation – Students should submit proof of presentation upon completion of their presentation or a copy of the registration for presentations planned for the same semester as graduation.
- For the Honors Thesis the DUS must be cc’d on a draft of your honors thesis sent to your mentor for revisions. Please contact Dr. Bohn immediately if you have any questions.