Posted: March 9, 2021
The Baltimore City Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs (MIMA) is recruiting reliable individuals to join our Volunteer Team. MIMA understands that due to language, literacy, and technological barriers, members of the immigrant community may have a difficult time navigating services and resources available to them through city, state, and federal entities. The Volunteer Team will bridge these gaps, considering the public health and economic impact that COVID-19 may have on immigrant communities. Volunteer Team members will be invited to become involved in opportunities to support a variety of programs and initiatives, both remotely and in-person, depending on need.
MIMA’s mission is to promote community wellbeing, economic development, and the integration of immigrant communities by identifying needs and opportunities that immigrants bring to our city, while developing public-private partnerships to strengthen the development of these communities. More information can be found on our website, mima.baltimorecity.gov.
Volunteer opportunities will vary depending on need. Examples of potential responsibilities include:
- Assisting immigrant community members to fill out forms
- Distributing yard signs in a neighborhood
- Staffing a call center
- Staffing a test site
- Translating documents
Criteria of Becoming a Volunteer:
To be considered, individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Have access to phone, computer, and Internet (when helping immigrants navigate online resources and forms)
- Attend any onboarding and training sessions by video call or phone
- Be able to contribute 1- 4 hours per week if participating in an opportunity
- Be able to adhere to standards of respect, privacy, and confidentiality
- Ideally be bilingual (if not, volunteers will be provided telephonic interpretation to communicate with immigrant residents). But not required for all opportunities
- Some opportunities may have additional requirements
If interested, please fill out the Volunteer Application form here: bit.ly/MIMAvolunteer. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, but those interested in assisting with COVID-19 response are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. For questions, please contact Cesia Calero at email@example.com.