BA/MA Program With SAIS
The five-year BA/MA program with the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) in Washington, D.C., allows selected undergraduate students to pursue an intensive program in international studies and obtain a master’s degree from SAIS.
SAIS is a prominent and respected graduate school of international affairs, with campuses in Washington, D.C.; Bologna, Italy; and Nanjing, China. Today, SAIS alumni are political, business, and organizational leaders in more than 140 countries around the world—including more than 130 graduates who have served as ambassadors for their nations.
The BA/MA program with SAIS includes three years of study at the Homewood campus and two years of study at SAIS. Students may not graduate from SAIS in fewer than four semesters.
Formal attendance at SAIS begins in what would have been the senior year of undergraduate study. All students may apply to spend their first year of SAIS at the Bologna campus, while students proficient in Mandarin may apply to spend their first year at the Nanjing campus, followed by two to three semesters at the D.C. campus.
Although the BA is not awarded until the end of the fourth year, it is expected that most undergraduate requirements will be completed in three years so as to facilitate continuation toward the MA at SAIS. Affiliation with the Homewood campus is terminated after the fourth year of the program.
Students pay SAIS tuition during their fourth and fifth years of study, although Homewood financial aid applies during their fourth year. Financial assistance for the fifth year is determined by SAIS and is not guaranteed.
The BA/MA program with SAIS is open to international studies or political science majors who:
- Demonstrate strong academic performance (normally a GPA of 3.7 or above)
- Have completed macro- and microeconomics courses with a minimum grade of B- in each classes
- Possess a high level of maturity and a strong desire to pursue a master’s degree
- For Nanjing applicants: Are proficient in Mandarin (via the STAMP test), if the student wishes to spend his/her first year at the Nanjing campus. Students who have not achieved the recommended test score by the application deadline may be conditionally accepted to the Nanjing program under certain circumstances.
Study abroad is not permitted for students applying to SAIS, with the exception of a summer and Intersession program.
Students apply to the BA/MA program with SAIS during the second semester of their sophomore year using the JHU-SAIS BA/MA Online Application Form.
Applications consist of:
- An official transcript
- Letter of recommendation
- Statement of interest indicating motivations for wishing to pursue the BA/MA program (including the reasons for wishing to study in Bologna or Nanjing, if applicable).
- For Nanjing applicants: your STAMP test score. The STAMP test must be requested directly from the Hopkins-Nanjing Office of International Admissions. Click here to download the STAMP test request form.
The deadline for applications is February 6, 2015.
Applications will be reviewed by a joint selection committee composed of representatives from both SAIS and Homewood. Selected students will be invited for an interview, which will take place at the SAIS campus in Washington on February 18. Notifications of acceptance will be sent shortly thereafter. Those who are accepted will begin study at SAIS during the fall 2016 semester.